On May 19, 2016, the Pennsylvania Diversity Council held its 2nd Annual Healthcare Diversity Summit at Independence Blue Cross in Philadelphia. “This event was created because there is a strong need for cross-cultural dialogue and diversity programs in the healthcare industry” said Angeles Valenciano, CEO of the National Diversity Council. “Our hope is that these discussions motivate participants to put what they have learned into action within their own organizations.”
The half-day event featured healthcare professionals from various organizations discussing topics relating to the event theme of Many Faces Addressing Diversity & Inclusion in Healthcare. The summit began at 8:00 a.m. with registration, breakfast, and networking. A presentation from keynote speaker Eve Higginbotham opened the event, followed by panelist-led discussion on ways that driving cultural competency and putting diversity into action can be conducted in the healthcare professions, how creating a culture of inclusion can impact healthcare professions students and their ability to deliver culturally competent patient care, and what it means for an organization to have a commitment to providing culturally competent care.
The Pennsylvania Diversity Council would like to thank the event sponsor, Jefferson, for their support of the event. Special thanks to all the volunteers, speakers and attendees for helping to make this event a success.
Photos and the program booklet from the conference can be found here.
- Eve Juliet Higginbotham, SM, MD, Vice Dean, Inclusion & Diversity, The Perelman School of Medicine
- Erica Gooch, PharmD, Associate Director, Interim Head of PV Policy Group, Janssen Research & Development, LLC
- Diane Lehman, Director, Case & Condition Management, Independence Blue Cross
- Joseph B. Hill, Senior Vice President & Chief Diversity Officer, Thomas Jefferson University & Jefferson Health System
- Mark Green, Head of Diversity & Inclusion, Accolade